CRIME NEWS


Gunmen abduct triplets in Imo


PALPABLE tension has engulfed Umuadara Umulogho community in Obowo Local Government Area, Imo State, following the abduction of two of the triplets of Mrs. Christiana Iroh, a widow by yet to be identified gunmen from her home in the wee hours of Wednesday.
Narrating her ordeal the distraught mother, unable to control her tears, told Saturday Sun that about 1.30am of Wednesday, that the door of her house was smashed by armed young men, who gained entrance to her room where she was sleeping with her children.
According to Mrs. Iroh, “in the early hours of Wednesday, at 1.30 am, in a commando style, the door to my room was smashed by four armed men, one of them wore a face mask. They immediately entered my room where I was sleeping with my triplets, who are all females.
“Two of the abductors carried Chinemerem and Chidera. While I started struggling with them, one of the hoodlums held me by the throat and pointed a gun on my head, warn­ing that if I disturb them again they will simply kill me and still take away the children. They severely beat up my two older children who started shouting to attract outside help”.
Continuing, “as one of the armed men continued to hold me the oth­ers took my six months old babies and ran into nearby bush, while the one holding me left me and also ran into the bush. I immediately ran af­ter them raising the alarm, which attracted youths of the community who came out that early morning and started combing the area.
The 29-year old widow who said that she did not suspect anybody from community however disclosed that the previous day that the elder brother to her late husband Mr. Ukah Iroh had threatened to deal with her for her refusal to vacate the house of her late husband for him to take over.
“I was not suspecting anybody but on Tuesday, my late husband’s elder brother, Ukah Iroh came here and said that he was going to deal with me since I have refused to vacate his younger brother’s compound.
But when I reported the matter to my father in-law, Benedict Iroh, he supported his son and asked what I was still doing in the compound, that I should go back to my father’s house after killing my husband.
“ Then, early hours of Wednesday, four armed men with one of them wearing a face mask broke into my house through back yard”.
Also, alarmed by the ugly incident, the traditional ruler of Umulogho community, Eze Ngozi Patrick Uwal­aka said that people are still rattled by the abduction of two of the triplets by armed men, saying that such a thing has never happened in the commu­nity before and that as a result of this, their people especially the women have been gripped with fear.
“This incident is a very serious matter because such a thing has never happened in this community and on that same Wednesday, I met with the Divisional Police Officer who came to Umuadara Umulogho on the matter and we have also re­ported the matter to the police state command, Owerri. So the commu­nity will not rest till we get back the babies and unmask those behind the evil act”.
The monarch further disclosed that the police for questioning have invited the biological father of the triplets, delivered six months ago. The woman’s husband died in 2004. The traditional ruler also revealed that the police had already arrested Mr. Ukah Iroh, the elder brother to her late husband, who had allegedly threatened to deal with her a day be­fore the abduction of the babies.

Comments