CRIME NEWS

Frequent fire outbreaks: Lagos community cries out



•As social media group provides lifeline


By Esther Onyegbula
FOR residents of Okobaba sawmill community in Ebute Metta of Lagos the fire incident that wreaked havoc in the area on November still remains a bitter pill for them to swallow.
Okobaba residents receiving relief materials from members of the social media group
Then residents are particularly devastated because the fire to them was one too many, saying they are yet to recover from the incident.
According to investigation, the fire started at 5pm on the fateful day and was said to have rapidly spread, destroying more than 150,000 wooden houses as well as rendering over 500 residents homeless.
When our correspondent visited the community, many of the residents were seen staring helplessly at the ruins of what used to be their homes, while others were rumaging through what was left of their property.
An elderly man, Alhaji Suliaman Badmus was seen under an old umbrella with his children. The septuagenarian and his family were among those worse hit as their three apartments were razed by the inferno which lasted for more than three hours.
Flame from a gas cooker
Albania Badmus, while narrating how the fire started, said: “The fire started from a hotel called Mosefunito hotel. That hotel is in the middle of the community and the place was always bubbling. I was informed that the fire was caused by a naked flame from a gas cooker. I thought the fire will not burn beyond that point but I was shocked when it spread to my houses. My children fled as the fire continued to rage.
“That fire destroyed my three houses and rendered me and my children homeless. We have nowhere to go and we have been sleeping in outside under this cold weather. We peal to government to come to our rescue and rebuild our community”.
Another victim, Mr. Lateef Omola, said the fire affected his store and all the goods were burnt. He informed thus: ‘“I am a technician and I sell electrical appliances. I was not at home when the fire stated but as soon as I heard about it, I rushed back to my shop and what I saw threw me into shock. At the end of it I lost goods running into millions of Naira. The fire affected and destroyed my television, DVD players among other electrical fittings like bulb, cable wire, and other electrical appliances. I am devastated and in need of urgent help to rebuild my shop”.
Vanguard Metro, VM, was informed that more than 150 apartments were affected by the inferno and which allegedly emanated from a gas flame and spread like wild fire for more than four hours before it was put out by a combined team of fire service men, the residents and security agencies.
Giving account of his own experience, a 65- year-old man AlhajicTijani Sule said: “I was not at home when the fire started. I was at work but I got a phone call from my children that our community was on fire and I raced down to see things for myself. What I saw was a raging fire. The inferno was so much that people could not salvage any of their belongings.
“We however thank God no lives were lost.My wives and children were saved because the fire got to our house later but we could not save anything. We only have the clothes on our backs”.
A month after the fire disaster, VM visited the community and noticed that the residents had resorted to begging, while others are sleeping outside after waiting for relief materials from the government for weeks to no avail.
It was, however, gathered that a group of young people using the social media were able to mobilise aid which served as succour to the victims of the fire.
The group of social media friends read about the plight of the residents and decided to take up the task to cater for their immediate needs.
Relief materials
The youths led by Mr. Mike Achimugu, an Abuja-based philanthropist, stormed the Okobaba community on Saturday and distributed relief materials to the victims of the fire. Mr. Achimugu said he was moved by the plight of the less-privileged to mobilise a social media team to alleviate their plight .
“One of our friends posted the story of the Okobaba fire incident on Facebook and we decided to visit the victims with relief materials on our first Mobile Charity Day. It was a very happy day and we are fulfilled donating to alleviate the sufferings of the victims. Our members came from far and near to put smiles on the faces of these people. These are people I met on social media: Facebook, twitter and Instagram. Social media can be used for good and bad and I would like to encourage members of the public that nothing is too small to give”.
The traditional ruler of the community, Chief Musbau Junadu, expressed joy over the donation.
He said: “This is a big surprise from an unexpected quarter. The facilitator of the group, Mr. Mike Achimugu, called me on my mobile phone that they were coming from Abuja to Okobaba. They gave out bags of rice, beans, toiletries, garri, detergents, insecticide, disinfectants, mosquito nets, blankets and cash to hundreds of residents”
Another victim, Baba Ibeji, was beside himself with joy after he received his donation. My house and other property were destroyed by the fire. We have been calling on government to come to our aid but nothing came from them. But God heard the prayer of the poor and sent helpers. I am very grateful to these young Nigerians. I got blankets, soaps, garri, beans, rice and other goods. I am very happy.”
For Moji Dayo: “I lost everything to the fire. I thank God that I am alive with my children. But life has been hell for us as we have nowhere to go or food to eat. The fire has turned us to beggars. It was an unfortunate fire that destroyed our home and means of liveihood but God used these people called Team Social Media to wipe our tears. I got rice, blanket, toiletries and other relief materials. I will continue to pray for them.”
[Vanguard]

Comments